Healthy Active Living Program
The Healthy Active Living program for the 50Plus is a series of modules providing key information on several lifestyle choices. It is designed to help older adults make more informed choices about their health and well being through education, personal empowerment and prevention. All sessions are free of charge.
Keeping well and staying healthy.
Importance of Physical Activity
The benefits of physical activity and practical ways to become more active.
Wise Medication Use
Information and practical tips on wise use of medications.
Importance of Healthy Eating
Information and practical tips on improving food choices and eating habits.
How to recognize and deal with stress in your life.
Information and practical tips on preventing injuries due to falls.
Personal Safety and Housing Considerations
Information and practical tips on personal safety and some housing concerns.
Understanding Hearing Loss
Information and practical tips on ways to deal with hearing loss & most common types of Hearing Loss.
Seniors and Fraud
Information and tips on how to identify and avoid cases of fraud.
Senior Abuse and Neglect
Recognizing the signs and dealing with abuse and neglect.
Pertinent information relevant to participant’s interests.
All these factors work in combination to provide a balanced, productive and healthy way of life. Offered since 1993, approximately 1000 seniors are exposed to the program each month. It is peer led with currently 12 regional co-ordinators, and approximately 60 volunteers and 140 resource persons delivering sessions. To date over 10,800 workshops have been delivered in all communities across New Brunswick to more than 250,000 seniors.
You are in charge
Cultivate a positive attitude to aging. Taking charge of your health can help you maintain your independence and enjoy life to the fullest.
- Get involved. Be active with family, friends and community organizations.
- Research has shown that physical activity plays an important part in promoting a long and healthy life.
- Use medications wisely. Talk to your doctor and pharmacist about the prescribed, over-the-counter and natural medicines you are taking.
- Enjoy a variety of healthy foods. Eat less fat and salt. Eat more high-fibre foods (e.g., breads, cereals, fruits and vegetables).
- Find healthy ways to manage stress and deal with the loss of a loved one.
- Speak out. Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
- Keep a positive attitude.
- Take part in information and training sessions that are offered in your community.
The Healthy Active Living Program for the 50Plus is administered by Aîné.e.s en marche/
Go Ahead Seniors Inc. and funded by the Government of New Brunswick.